Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Catching Up

You're right, if anyone is out there reading. I've been a bad blogger and not staying current. I'm going to try and catch up a bit.

Last Monday, as in over a week ago, on the recommendations of a couple teachers I did a timed holds practice. Set my timer for 90 seconds and off I went. Spent about 10 minutes warming up and then into my Asana practice. Ninety seconds didn't seem like a long time, 6 or so slow long breaths. OMG, doing one pose for 90 seconds, no big deal, doing every pose for 90 seconds makes you work. One of the hardest things is holding your arms up in pose after pose in a standing sequence. I need smaller arms, those dudes get heavy. I survived 90 minutes and felt pretty dang good when I got done. Even went two rounds on handstand (fun) and Virasana (not fun). Tuesday's practice I wanted to get more poses in but still encourage myself to stay steady so I set the timer for 60 seconds. A lot of difference in 30 seconds. By the time you step into the pose, apply the UPAs you use up 10 - 15 seconds, it wasn't as challenging but a great practice none the less. Fast forward to this Tuesday and I did the 90 seconds holds again and found I was already more steady, still not an easy practice but well worth the effort. I think I'll add 15 seconds next time around. Who knows, 5 minute holds!!!

We hosted Adam Ballenger this weekend at our Anusara Yoga workshop. What a great time. Most classes had about 30 students, lots of smiles, a bunch of hard work, and I learned a lot. Isn't great how someone can look from the outside and see where you're not doing something as fully as you should or could. I got reeducated on outer spiral of the front leg in standing poses. Guess I was so focused on inner spiral I let it get away from me. Good lesson. Adam is an exceptional teacher who I want to study with more. If you get a chance to take any of his classes don't miss out.

My phone contract with Verizon expired 8 Jan and I was all set to buy a Droid. I had done the research and was headed toward the Motorola X. Then the big announcement....Verizon is getting the iPhone. Back to the Internet, read as many reviews as I can and make a new decision. On 3 Feb I'll be ordering a new iPhone 4. The reviews said both are great phones but the iPhone kept coming out on top by a nose.

Last week I also found out I was accepted into Therapy Training with John Friend in Miami, Feb 23 - 25. I also be staying the weekend to practice the Int/Adv workshop and observe the Mixed Level class. I'm sure I'll learn a bunch and get to connect with some of my friends in Florida. Donna will be headed to California a couple weeks earlier to spend time with Richard Miller, her teacher so it will be a month of learning for both of us.

That's enough for now. I'll try and stay more current. Drop me a comment to let me know someone out there is reading my babble.

Peace

3 comments:

  1. iPhone and holds..... Going to be a great year! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading; it's the waiting that's challenging. Long holds & arms - try a mental distraction; as you hold them out there, think about your shoulderblades, then re-extend the arms, back to shoulderblades, re-extend. Always works for me.

    Glad Adam lived up to my Facebook comments -- and congrats on Miami. I'm waiting for something closer to SLC (or the West).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I need smaller arms..." ha ha - love it. Adam was phenomenal - thanks again!

    ReplyDelete